Roskilde Cathedral (Roskilde Domkirke)
The red brick gothic cathedral with its two slime spires reaching the sky is the very landmark of Roskilde and its major attraction.
It is visited by over 125 000 people every year, and in 1995 has been inscribed on UNESCO´s World Heritage List.
Built successively on the grounds of Harald Bluetooth´s church during the 12th and 13th centuries (it was competed first after 300 years), since the early 15th century the cathedral became the main burial site for Danish kings and queens. All thirty nine monarchs found their final resting place here.
The construction of the church was ordered in 1170´s by bishop Absalon, who also founded Copenhagen and who until the Reformation had his residence here.
Every monarch to be buried in the cathedral prepared for that in the different way: there are now rich and gaudy chapels and porches in different styles, with magnificent, dripping gold sarcophaguses as well as more modest ones. In this way the cathedral became also a historical lesson of how the Danish architecture evolved since Middle Ages until now - in 1985 a new burial place was added by the north west corner of the cathedral.
Cathedral’s main chapel is abundantly decorated with paintings and sculptures portraying the achievements of the great and ever-popular king Christian IV.
The cathedral is also famous for two more things, both connected to the music. The first one is the magnificent baroque organs (reconstructed, but dating 1554) and great concerts held throughout a year. Then we have one of the Denmark's leading boys' choirs, the Roskilde Cathedral Boys' Choir, that since 1987 has its home here.